View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #615
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Except that's exactly what I'm talking about. Troutman's link says temperatures will get more extreme(and have been trending that way), which is what I'm taking issue with.

Tornados: no, and I've never seen any evidence they are increasing in Alberta, have you? As far as I know the trend in the US isn't up at either. This doesn't really indicate it is:
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/climate-in...atology/trends

Forest Fires: I'm not sure how you separate climate change, and not other issues like forestry management. If you can prove regions are getting hotter and drier, then ya, perhaps, but the last time I looked for that information I actually found most of BC had gotten wetter.

Floods: Again, really crap management. We worry of flooding in Calgary, yet strip the Elbow headwaters of forests. I've yet to hear of any reasonable attribution of flooding to climate change where it wouldn't have been more likely caused by other factors like paving over the earth, putting people where they shouldn't be and deforestation. There is no increasing flooding trend in Calgary or area, certainly nothing you could say "climate change has caused these to be more frequent".

I'll agree that all of these have been predicted, but I dispute the accuracy. I have yet to see any reasonable explanation, and correlation between events and rising temperatures. What does the IPCC have to say? I'll paste the whole section so I don't get accused of cherry picking.

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uplo...l_Report-1.pdf

What this tells us is that there is large variability globally, and confidence in the predictions. So again, my POINT is that if they can't prove it for a specific region(namely, Alberta or Canada) stop attributing these disastrous effects when they are regional. All it does is make people say "well I'm not seeing that here, so the whole theory is BS." Be honest with the public. Use facts. That is going to include the perhaps uncomfortable position that climate change is actually going to improve life and prosperity for Canada(though not all regions, and there will also be negative effects).
Aren't even hurricanes trending downwards in terms of occurrence?

I know forest fires for sure people thought were increasing in rate and size, but at least in Canada the evidence suggests otherwise.

We are terrible at managing our forests so the fires are not something I would use to see 'oh this is because of climate change.'
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote