View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I go through a cycle as well though at the end of every cycle I end up weighing more (which as we've all learned is actually typical). I don't have many issues losing it and I actually enjoy exercise...play hockey every week at least once, I like many of the intense Beachbody workouts.

Problem is I lose some weight get addicted a bit to the exercise and push myself too far. Last time I lost 40 pounds and blew my back out (always had a L4-L5 disc issues but aggravated it severely). I basically had constant spasms for a few months, severe weakness down one leg and when that finally settled down I had to do physio for several months. But it led to inactivity and piling the pounds back on. If it's not the back it's breaking my foot blocking a shot etc.

So it's a yo-yo. This time I'm taking it slowish. Making sure the calories I eat are sufficient and can help my maintain some weight loss if my activity level drops because of injury (you never know with the back). I make sure I get a little something sweet for my sweet tooth every day even if it's just a werther's at the end of the day. I don't worry about a bad day but make sure i don't string them together at all (tough during business travel).

It's going well. Down 40 pounds thus far at a steady 2 lbs/week. Need to lose more. My hope is of course to get to my target but then the real work begins....maintaining or increasing the activity level and the calorie intake. It's not just for the time of the "diet" and exercise it's forever. And that is daunting. Really daunting. I love food. I'm never full...even if I stuff my face all day I'm never full. That's where the willpower thing does exist...you have to push yourself through. Push yourself past the doughnut case. I've tried mentioning to to people but they don't really understand...it is sometimes a visceral physical reaction when you pull yourself past that doughnut case. Even months later it's just as hard as it was on day 1.

Last edited by ernie; 05-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.