View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

The controller that comes with it is awesome. It is purpose built for the Phantom series. It is very '1 to 1'. Control is super predictable, and I love the centring feature on the sticks. If you end up in a panic mode or lose orientation, just release the sticks and it hovers in place (as long as you are in GPS mode). You do not need the displays that some high end controllers have, as all your telemetry is on the iPhone screen. I also forgot to mention the Vision series, has a find my Phantom feature built in if you crash. Personally though, when I go beyond sight, a zip tie a cellular based GPS locator to one of the skids.... just in case, because if the Phantom battery dies, you can't locate it. You just need a pay as you go sim card. I bought this one, tested it, and it works well and only weighs about 30 grams:

http://www.amazon.ca/Elecs-Real-Time...ds=gps+locator

I have flown with both my iPad Air, and iPhone 5s, so you have the option for a larger screen format if required.

It was really cool the first time I was flying it at my folks place. My dad was watching me fly it, and was absolutely amazed. He is 73, so you can imagine someone who saw 50's tech, reaction to a device like this. I flew it way down a ravine behind his house and he goes "Oh crap you lost it!" I show him the picture on my iPhone, and explained to him it was flying it FPV. Then he goes "Imagine if you could record it, that would be cool!" I said "Dad, I am recording it, in HD. And it is perfectly stabilized with gyros/dc motors." He is a retired electrical engineer, and said "Not even 10 years ago, you could sell that thing to the military for half a million bucks a copy. Absolutely amazing."

Last edited by pylon; 07-19-2014 at 12:46 AM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: