View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I expect that we're going to see an end to contact and collision sports in our schools over the next decade as the question of liability comes up.

We've had very few concussions in football over the last few years, but I don't know if that's just luck or how we teach safe contact.
This is something I've been an advocate for in soccer for years until the club I was with finally took action.

In soccer there are tackles but I noticed pretty quickly that nobody was teaching these kids how to slide tackle or how to be slide tackled, they were just figuring it out from what they saw on TV and yeah...thats how kids get hurt.

So I taught my players how to tackle and be tackled. We practiced it. It became almost unbelievably effective in both changing the games tactically as well as reducing injuries and you know what the ultimate result was?

A damned near parent mutiny that wasnt quelled until we could reason with them.

We arent 'beating them up in practice.' We're teaching them to do something instinctively and safely and instilling muscle-memory and reflexes that will save their asses when it counts.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 05-03-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote