View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 12:07 AM   #741
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The hump is not efficient.

The 777 is lower capacity perhaps, but 2 things have closed the gap: the 777 moving to 10-abreast in economy by pretty much all carriers, and the modern seat configuration that carriers are choosing with elaborate low-density first and business seats. Air Canada has 450-seat three class 777, with 60+ more seats than Lufthansa's 3-class queens. There is no longer a need for the 747 to exist.

Nobody is maxing out seating in the current 777 to the extent that the 77X has lower max seating capacity than the 77W it replaces, because why have an extra set of doors when nobody will put those seats in anyway. So Boeing took them out.

I don't argue that the 777 is a more efficient airplane and I think everyone knows that any 4 engined aircraft is starting to go by the wayside.

For most people who are into aviation, the 747 is an icon and easily recognizable compared to a 777. Anytime anyone draws a 747, you instantly know it's a 747 because of the hump. Of course, airlines don't make a decision to buy a plane or a manufacturer make a decision to keep building a plane because it's recognizable.

Once the passenger versions of the Queen goes, I (selfishly) would never be able to experience what it's like to sit upstairs on the 747. While it might not be anything special, I still think it would be an experience.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post: