View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #35
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I was trying to find some comparisons because $5m+ seemed a bit steep for a player that has never scored 20 goals or more than 45 pts.

Landeskog (LW) signed a 7 year 39 million dollar contract ($5.5 AAV) with the Avs in 2013. He's more like a 60pt player. Drafted in 2011. At the time of signing he only had one full season plus the shortened season due to lockout.

Forsberg (LW) signed a 6 year 36 million dollar contract ($6m AAV) with Nashville in 2016 and he's more like a 65 point player. Drafted in 2012. Had two full seasons in the NHL and was coming off a 33 goal 64 point season with Nashville.

Both wingers, both have been more productive and have more goals and points than Lindholm. Although I'd be willing to bet both have played with better linemates.

Getting Lindholm for around $5m seems about right as long as he continues to develop. I didn't check to see the RFA status of either of the comparable or how many UFA years they gave up though, which always factors into the contract.
Often for comparing contracts from >1year ago, the best way to compare isn't the dollar figure/cap hit, but the % of cap.

Comparables that would be above Lindholm (high picks signing as RFA off bridge) = Zibanejad, Schwartz, Niederretter, Schenn all made >=7% of the cap

So with a cap of 79.5M, that is 5.5M roughly. Lindholm is a tier below those guys, so he needs to come in well under on a 5 year deal, still under that on 6 years.

Nazem Kadri may be a closer comparable, and at 6.3% of cap when he signed, that is 5M on the nose (for 6 years). And Kadri did at least have 1 season of 20G 30A

I am hoping that the AAV only starts with a 5 if it is 7 years, but i can live with 30M/6 years. 5x5 is not a good deal, as it doesn't buy enough RFA years

Last edited by Imported_Aussie; 07-13-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote