View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 06:34 AM   #4511
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Had my first energuide inspection for the Green Homes program today.

Seems like the big $ are for solar as it's $1,000 per KW. There's about $600 I could get for upping insulation (and that's with the inspector being generous and marking my current R30 as R20 to allow higher reimbursement), maybe $500-800 for sealing (but has to be through a contractor and depends on results of second blower test either hitting their new target, or 10% better). Windows if you're planning to do them anyways but probably not number one on the list and not really a huge reimbursement compared to the cost (I think it's $150-250 per window?)

Hot water tanks, heat pumps, etc on the program not so great a cost return with cheap natural gas here, unless you were planning to do them anyways or are making major investments to run your house net-zero off your own solar panels.

Useful though. Followed him around when he was doing the blower test and pointed out quite a few opportunities for sealing. Some of which probably contributed to the attic rain issue (for instance, attic potlights are not air sealed).

Supposed to get the report in a bit, then I do the work, then schedule a post-inspection, and ask for the rebate. Not a fast process. He said they keep it on file for 7 years so no huge rush to get the work done but also means you're not going to get your rebate for awhile.
Once you have the initial inspection, can you just do whatever upgrades you want over that 7 years? I do want to upgrade insulation and windows, but not all at once.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote