View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #66
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Wow. This is nuts. Seriously, assuming the above is all true... just wow, not sure what else to say. Bank rolling other kids so your little kids team can win? What the hell?

Anyway I find this thread both sad and hilarious all at the same time. When I grew up, my dad would always go over the odds of me making it. I know that sounds bad, but I think he was just trying to be honest, and keep me healthy and normal. A lot of what's being written in this thread, about a kid being so overly dedicated to a sport, just doesn't seem healthy to me. I understand kids get passionate, but I kind of think like fotze that maybe that passion is left unbridled because parents are hoping for something more. But it just seems so backwards if it's all about the parents, doesn't it? And if you're pushing your kid to be a millionaire, aren't there basically a lot better ways to get there, with probably less work overall? Maybe not... but I dunno... sacrificing one's childhood and youth seems like a pretty steep price.

It's not just hockey too... parents going crazy on extracurriculars... it's all very strange to me. My wife and I had a little kid a couple months ago... I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams trying to force her into something because I have wild career dream aspirations for her. It sounds ridiculous, petty, materialistic and frankly wrong and a little depressing.

There is more to life.

That has been going on for many many years.