View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #1630
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I think you lot are out to lunch on the whole batteries-in-controllers thing.

I had a launch PS3 as a secondary (and later tertiary) console, and it didn't see a ton of game time, but a little. This lack of use meant the battery in the controller went flat a few times, and eventually it just refused to take a charge, which conveniently happened right around the time I decided to sell it. I tried everything to charge that damn thing. The lack of a removable/replaceable battery meant I got to take the controller to electronics recycling and I ended up selling the console with a PS4 controller I had paired to it (which has the same non-removable battery setup). My Power A PS3 controller, also lacking a replaceable battery, ended up with the exact same problem so it met the same demise as my OE PS3 controller.

My Xbox 360 -- on the other hand -- saw so much use that over time the battery packs have simply run out of charging cycles and can barely hold power; they're paperweights. No matter, I can pop a set of AA batteries into the controller and away we go. The battery pack may be toast, but the controller is just fine. Admittedly, the fatal flaw of the Xbox 360 controller in this regard is that the AA battery tray is needed to properly use AA batteries in the first place. If you bought Xbox 360 controller battery packs and tossed the old AA battery trays, you're hooped. The controller design of the Xbox One fixed this by using a battery door and designing the battery area to accept AAs without a specific tray or door installed and making sure the rechargeable battery packs fit in the same space.

From a convenience perspective, it's a no-brainer. I don't get to game as much as I would like, so I'm not really paying attention to whether the controllers are charged. Sometimes we'll sit down to play some games and one of the controllers is really low on juice. Well, fine, pop in some AAs and play with those, and charge the battery pack in the interim.

From the perspective of reducing e-waste, having easily replaceable batteries in controllers (as in by the average consumer, not something you need to read or watch a tutorial on) is table-stakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I still can't believe that in 2021 Xbox controllers require AA batteries. I honestly couldn't believe it when the Xbox One came out 8 years ago, let alone the XSX.
They don't require AA batteries, you can buy rechargeable battery packs both first and third party.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: