View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #49
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think there's an expiry date on the cores of most teams no matter how good. Once they spend enough years together things become too familiar and comfortable. This core has largely been together for over half a decade and it's stale. It doesn't help that they haven't found a head coach that can identify a system that suits the roster. I think if you added a better head coach they would improve in performance but I think the overall ceiling is lower now than it was a few years ago. It's simply time to shake up the core even if it means taking a step back to take two steps forward. This is what the Wild have done and it's working so far.
Agreed and also would say they should've added to the core years ago. after the Colorado series. How do you finish 1st in the west, get bounced in 5 and make no changes?

I think part of the reason for that is location, which I would suggest is the 7th factor. I do think being GM of about 4-5 Canadian teams and a couple American teams like Buffalo and Columbus is a handicap. Not an excuse, but limiting. Some players have openly refused to waive like Kadri and other rumored deals seem to have just fell through without explanation about why. Deals that would've given the group some talent and taken the burden off key guys like Gaudreau and Monahan as their production cools off in their late 20s.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote