View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #32
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don't think there needs to be a sign or a rope or anything. Don't touch what doesn't belong to you is a pretty simple concept.

In a lot of cases, there is nothing guarding priceless pieces of art in museums around the world, and yet this kind of thing doesn't happen all that frequently. This just leads me to believe that it's really only the fault of the parents and child here, who seem to be outliers when considering millions of people who are able to visit a museum and be around paintings and sculptures without destroying them in the absence of ropes or signs.

And it's people like this family, who shrug it off because it happened to be some local artist, and believe it ought to be cheaper, that are going to make it so museums have to have guards around every piece of art to prevent some clutz from breaking or touching something.
I disagree that priceless art doesn't have guards or rope.

I was just in the Chicago Art museum. Every room with paintings has a staff person asking people to stand behind the lines painted in the floor to prevent touching. Asking people not to use flash when photographing art.

This also wasn't an Art Gallery from the sounds of it. It was a display in the Community Center that they were at a wedding at. That is a different level of expected behaviour.

This piece of Art ought to be cheaper because there is no evidence that this Artist has ever had something this valuable not because the parents think it should be less

Also most pairing and sculptures are pretty durable. You can climb on a Rodan Bronze and the Marbles will likely not break as well. Paintigs are well secured and touching causes long term rather than immediate damage.

Not to excuse the parents here but it wasn't a museum or gallery, the delicate piece was to properly secured (it shouldn't topple when grabbed just from a theft standpoint, I'm not asking for glass) and it's being over valued by the artist.

I'd say the parents are 50% responsible for the cost of materials plus hours put into the art.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote