View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #51
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I hear Fender has a good teach yourself program
I am not 'good' at the guitar by any stretch of the imagination, but here are a few tips

Learning to play looking at your phone will make you want to quit .

learning the open major / open minor chords is pretty well the building block to most songs. find a good chord chart and print it off.

Find songs that you like that use mostly open major/ minor chords (most every pop/rock song). That way you can learn the chords, their names, and have exercises moving between them.

Riffs are basically scales over chords. if you want to riff learn a scale taht corresponds to chords you like ( G - D - E irrc is most peoples singing range if you want to do that too), Scales won't get you too far in terms of applicability to songs, but its great for finger dexterity and improvisation if you and your buddy want to jam.

The Hal Leonard Guitar Method is probably the most popular guitar lesson book. But I would argue that it is not very engaging. You could likely cobble together your own regiment suited to the music that you like, because that's the point.

Finally, get good at guitar quick is scam. There is no short cut, if you wanna get good practice the same thing for 20 minutes at least, and do some exercises like scales/chord progressions for 10 minutes minimum. Every day.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post: