View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
A year or two back, I recall a new development somewhere on the West side of DT (less than 1-2 years old) had burst piping or something and a special assessment. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's headache free (I think it was Luna).
Yep, looks like it was: http://lunacondo.files.wordpress.com...dec20final.pdf

I'm pretty impressed by that newsletter - seems like a simple thing but it is a great job on behalf by the Board to keep residents informed as to stuff. As well, they seem on top of the issues, namely the water leaks (that are the bane of all condos, and yes, houses). Lots of other things to consider of course when buying but this simple newsletter is a very good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
would love a condo building that banned renting. Making a home out of a place that's all renters is BS really and really difficult. If I make a condo my home I want other owners to be doing the same. Not just churning and burning the building until it fall over only looking at a balance sheet instead of quality of living. I wonder if anything like that exists anywhere. In a normal economy it's not a huge problem, but in Calgary it's really epidemic lately where you think about buying an over priced condo and calling it home but having to deal with %90 of the building being renters that don't really care about maintaining the place they live in or being a part of a community.
Nope, it's not possible to legally put restrictions on what someone can do with their property. Even the "18 and up" or "65+ residences" wouldn't stand up to a Charter of Rights complaint.

I understand where you're coming from, but renters sometimes get a bad rap unfairly. Lots of good tenants out there. Hell, there are just as many bad apples in a barrel of owners...

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 05-28-2014 at 08:36 AM.