View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #12417
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Age should be of less concern than number of games played. Sam has over 250 (including playoffs). To say Bennett is running in place would be kind. There should be some indication of improvement.

Deployment should be taken into account, but I'm fairly confident in saying GG didn't tell Sam to play out of position and take bad penalties while being generally ineffective otherwise. I would love to see him turn into even half the player we thought we were getting when drafted. I'd be pleased with a 20g/20a third line physical winger at this point.

I think the Flames should make a push for RoR to play with tkachuck on the second line and push Backlund & Frolik down to the third line to play (ie: prop Sam up) on the third line.
I disagree regarding the importance of the number of NHL games played. Age matters more than NHL experience in terms of physical development, strength, and maturity. I would argue that the total number of games played as a pro in the NHL or in the minors is probably a better indicator for a young player than simply the number of NHL games is.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing Bennett reunited with Backlund and Frolik. People seem to forget that Bennett's greatest success was when he was playing with those two in their prime, and since then the quality of his linemates has taken a massive drop.

I think Bennett's 200-foot game actually has improved, but I do hope that better linemates will result in his rushes and zone entries being better supported, which may help to reduce his offensive zone turnovers and the resultant penalties.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post: