Old 02-21-2024, 01:44 PM   #8
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Love the jersey and the throwback cage.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1760339849247416598
^^ An absolute beauty. I grew up idolozing him, but it's still shocking to me to see how small he was compared to the net. That's the first shock, then you realize he's playing stand-up and that's the other one that hits you.

I mean, it's no exaggeration to say Roy changed goaltending forever by being so unbeatable in the butterfly, but you still forget what goaltending looked like back then. Mind you, I think Vernie became more of a hybrid after he went to Detroit...

Wouldn't it be something to see someone like Wolf re-popularize staying on your feet? I mean, I'm not suggesting a style swap for Wolf or anything that crazy... but it would be pretty cool to see a goalie come in and shake things up. I think lots of young goalies trid to emulate Hasek a lot, but that dude has a slinky for a spine. You can't just train to be able to successfully flop around like that (in my mind, anyway). It's really messed up though... cause I re-watch Vernie highlights and I'm like, how did someone that small play on his feet so much and risk all those low shots (the infamous Vernie five-hole)? Then I watch Wolf play nowadays and I'm like how does someone that small go down so early and give up so much of the net?

Maybe the next style change we see is a smaller goalie with two trappers instead of a stick, playing like a footie keeper, lol.

Edit: I just googled to see if it's spelled "footie" or "footy" and in doing so, discovered the term is actually used for Aussie football. Am I the only one that calls soccer "footie/footy?" (I'm fairly certain the answer is no, or else I've made some weird contributions to conversations about a completely different sport.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-21-2024 at 01:53 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: