View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #235
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
You can't just exclude the best section of 40 games of a 105 game sample and say "Look he's not good enough" .

Under Hartley, Peters, & Gulutzan when the team was committed to working hard and sticking to the system they looked good.

When they played lazy and uninspired hockey because they were sad, or the coach was too mean, or too nice, or now too mean again, they have looked bad.

I think at this point moving at least one of Gaudreau, Monahan, or Backlund will probably be required to shake it up.

As a whole the Flames under Peters sit 5th in the NHL with 130 points, and a . 619 points percentage. That would be a very harsh firing IMO.

If you break up the Flames under Peters into 20 game segments

2018/2019:

Game 1-20: 11-8-1 > .575 points percentage
Game 21-40: 13-4-3 > .725 points percentage
Game 41-60: 13-4-3 > .725 points percentage
Game 61--82: 13-9-0 > .591 points percentage

2019-2020

Game 1-20: 10-7-3 > 0.575 points percentage
Game 21-23: 0-3-0 > 0.000 points percentage

Peters has not had a 20 game segment as this team's coach where he's under a .575 points percentage. That is a 94 point pace over a full season, which isn't great but is a pretty good as your worst quarter of a season in his time here.

This is on the players and maybe the GM for not doing more to make sure a change happened in the offseason - not the coaching staff.
I'm not even saying Peters is a bad coach.

I'm saying, things have obviously not been working the same way since the all star break and if a new coach gives yo uthe possibility of re-igniting your best players, this season, you do it.

I don't understand the lack of urgency here. This is year 2 of the 3 year window and the Flames are out of a playoff spot 22 games into the season.

In my opinion, when you're contending you friggin' go for it. Fire the coach, hire Guy as a trainer, serve only pepperoni pizzas in the lockerroom after practice, whatever it takes to get this group going.

In my opinion, Peters is not such a good coach that you can't find his like elsewhere should he be fired and you determine he was not the issue. Worst case scenario you fire peters, the flames miss, you trade Gaudreau or Monahan in the offseason without a doubt in your mind of where the problem is.

Best case scenario? You ignite the roster, have a barn burner of a second half and do some damage in the playoffs.

The time for sending a message to the roster that they can't play so badly that you'll get rid of the coach was two coaches ago. I don't want to light a contending season on fire to prove a point to my team's best players.

I want to win.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote