View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #31
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I've published a number of pieces of writing professionally (but only non-fiction articles, never a book).

I'd caution that a children's book probably isn't a stepping stone to writing an adult novel. It's really quite a different thing.

If you want to write a thriller novel I would do the following.Write some adult short stories, and have them read by critical readers. Edit and improve them. Go to writers workshops. Put them out there (online, anthology, blog, whatever) and see how they are received.

In the process of all that you should end up having fans and contacts in the publishing world in your genre. Then write a novel.
This is fantastic advice. And, as a bonus, by starting with some short stories, you may end up with the foundation for the novel you want to write.

Calgary is kind of a rough market for writers, but if you can ingrain yourself in part of the community, it's very supportive. And once you get some momentum under you, you start to naturally fit into the Canadian lit landscape as a whole, which is also very supportive. Canadians support Canadians pretty well.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote