View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #31
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think people often confuse uncomfortable with unsafe. This is probably especially true when someone isn't used to being around people with some pretty serious adverse life experiences.

Drug addicts and homeless people should really barely register on your danger meter. More dangerous than the average person? Possibly. The same as strolling through a gang neighbourhood? Not remotely.

Poverty and drug addiction are uncomfortable, yes, but likely the worst thing that will happen to you in DTES is getting talked to. The. Horror.
Where do you live?

You're not completely wrong about the safety factor but you are diminishing the negative impacts to the regular people trying to build up the community in the area. The worse thing that happens is not "getting talked to". There is plenty of crime, disruption to businesses, and disruption to normal life. Some of it is unsafe. When you have clearly mentally ill people screaming at passers by, you have no idea what they could do.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote