View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I wouldn't put in effort and time for a promise of something better down the road. Don't fall for the carrot on the stick.

We'll look at your compensation again during the next review.
This will be great as part of your professional development.
We're looking at moving you up when a role opens.

There are a million things they can say to get you to do the work without compensating you for it. Every single one of those things is to get you to STFU and do more for the same money with a smile on your face. Any promises they make about what you will get for doing more need to be in writing with an effective date otherwise they're as valuable to you as a slap in the face.

How many of us have worked harder for more opportunities in the future only to not see these opportunities materialize? A casual conversation about your future in some little office means nothing.

How many of us have vaguely offered opportunities to employees just to kind of kick the can down the road with no concrete intention of making those opportunities happen at a specified time and without the employee needing to remind you/pressure you to make them happen?

The job market is tough right now, but asking for more compensation to do more work isn't something that any reasonable leader would fire you for or even penalize you for. If they won't give you more money, they are still going to expect you to do the work. I'd rather do the work and get more money, but you won't get the money if you don't ask.

People that don't push for more get nothing and are doomed to be worker bees forever.
Sure, don't disagree with some points you've made.

But as you said, have the conversation about compensation first. If that's a no fly and no written promises for a higher role later on, then grit your teeth, learn as much as you can and use that as a springboard to be more hire-able by another employer. Otherwise, you're going to run into so many issues getting hired later on via, "We're looking for someone with more experience in XYZ".

But here's the sucky part Sliver, not all leaders are reasonable. I've heard my fair share of people getting "laid off" right now for the most petty and stupid of reasons. That's why playing nice and then immediately figuring out the next step is a better plan than, "Nah, I'm not doing this extra stuff for free" sort of attitude. IMO it's better to be more like, "Oh, are the 3 (or however many) us going to get extra compensation for the additional responsibilities and work load?" and spreading the target than, "Am I getting paid extra for this?" and putting one solely on yourself.

IMO anyways.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: