View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have an open conversation with all employees involved then with upper management with said employees about what responsibilities are being handed out and any concerns about significant time overages, slippages, expectations etc. as a result. I do not think it's likely they will disallow you the take on the additional responsibilities without a significant reason of their choice (ie: you don't know how to do it at all, cannot learn in time and they don't want you to learn on the job).

Frequently mention you're not making a fuss but finding a way to make the transition as easy as possible (because it will be true). These opportunities are rare in the sense that it's kinda temporary (assuming lady will return) and it's kinda like a temp role added to your main role, but in a far more valuable capacity and method for resume purposes. Job titles mean significantly less now. Responsibilities/experience are significantly more important.

If the expectations aren't unreasonable (ie: you can learn as you go without a gun to your head), these are things that can go on a resume that can bridge into bigger and better roles. It allows you to work higher than you currently are and as mentioned, you can use it later on to leverage for more pay and promotions etc. If the individual is on maternity leave, it's possible that if she does not return, you could be first in line for her role if you do well.

But if the additional load is seemingly unreasonable and it looks like you're just required to put in a ton of OT for free, with the current economy, I'd keep my mouth shut, learn on the go (but add to resume) and only broach the conversation of money once you have a firm offer in hand for a matching offer or just take the other company's offer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote