Thread: Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #71
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
This is the kind of language that makes me think that westerners are inherently racist towards Chinese people and just try their best to hide it. Infested? Are you serious? All that type of language does is propagate the dehumanization of Chinese people and paint them with the whole locusts/yellow peril stigmatizing stereotype. Do you really think that every single of Chinese people that were vacationing in Hong Kong is in some way inferior to yourself? Would you ever call a large group of western tourists an infestation? Language matters and it’s very revealing of people’s inherent biases...
Westerners? Most HK people hate mainlanders. My wife included. Not that I think it’s right. But I can also attest to seeing swarms of mainlanders akin to the “locusts” theme. They will bowl you right over just to budge you in line. It’s actually quite a culture shock when I first saw it. This obviously doesnt make them lesser people, but there’s definitely a different mentality with the majority of mainland Chinese when it comes to personal space or the things we consider common courtesy in western culture.

Last edited by Patek23; 08-14-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post: