View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #408
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Not really. I think there is some concern about car break-ins, but as is the case in Vancouver, most of the crime is within the street-entrenched community.

Crime can also be mitigated by increased foot patrols. Homelessness can be mitigated through affordable housing.

These problems won't go away just because their presence makes you uncomfortable.

Vancouver has had decades of looking the other way when it came to the city's opioid epidemic, and look where it has gotten them.
This I agree with. The spike in Assaults and Sexual Assaults are likely almost 100% within the SIS user group. However, that is also highly likely, because non users now avoid what was once a busy commercial area.
Surrounding businesses are suffering because customers no longer want to go to those areas, as when you do, you're likely to witness things that make you uncomfortable, and possibly unsafe. Just because the spike is within the user group, doesn't mean it's safe for others to just casually stroll through without second thought.
I frequent the sports store a half block away from the SIS in Lethbridge, and I know I have personally changed my routine when doing so. In the past, I'd take my young son, go in, drop off skates for sharpening, wander around checking things out, and spend anywhere from 30-90 minutes in the store.
Now, after I've had my vehicle broken into twice in the parking lot while I was in the store with my son, and having him witness people overdosing on the curbs, shooting up, and getting into fights, I now stop in, drop off skates, head to the mall or run other errands, swing back to the sports store, run in, grab my skates and head out. My son doesn't even want to come with me anymore, and I don't blame him.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote