View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
-Is it easy to get from Tocumen airport to the city? What's the average cost?
-While in Panama, did you use US dollars, or Balboa?..
We rented a mini-van at the airport. It was a well-used, diesel VW. Drivers and traffic are a bit crazy in Panama City, but we've managed. They asked if we wanted GPS at the rental counter; we took it and it worked fine wherever we went.
We did not need any local currency anywhere in two weeks. $US or credit cards worked fine.

Quote:
-Is it easy to get around in the city with public transportation?
Yes. Buses, taxis, Uber. People on the streets of Panama City were mostly friendly and tried to help if we needed directions with bus stops and routes.

Quote:
-Which areas would you recommend to stay in? I'd love to stay in a spot with good restaurants and decent nightlife.
I highly recommend staying at the Hard Rock Hotel. It is simply amazing. This IS the nightlife hub. One of the hotel entire floors is turns into a giant rave/night club every night. There are more locals then tourists there. Thousands of people of all ages looking for a good time. Felt very safe too.

Quote:
-Which tours would you suggest?
Gamboa Boat Tour

Panama Canal (book a table at the restaurant over there in advance to watch enormous ships pass by in a narrow channel while having a cold beer.

(Skip the ancient ruins tour, it's really boring).
We also drove to Farallon - Panama version of Mayan Riviera all-inclusive resort. Meh. Food was mediocre. Beach was dirty. Hotel rooms were ok. Lots of young women from Venezuela looking for dance partners at the disco though (if you are young and single, of course Didn't matter to me; as I am neither young nor single).

Quote:
-Any other information that is good to know?
There are lots of armed soldiers/guards on the streets of Panama City, which should be alarming. But we felt surprisingly safe anywhere.
Old Town - walking the promenade along the shore and old town streets was nice.
Beaches in Panama City look awful. Avoid.
Golfing at the Marriott Resort in Panama City - was really nice and affordable. You can see lots of exotic birds and wildlife while golfing.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post: