View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #44
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've stayed at MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay and New York New York. I enjoyed all of them. MGM has the best beds I've ever slept in at a hotel. It has some good pools too, not the best in Vegas, but still pretty good, lots of pools. MGM is my preferred place to stay. Keep in mind that it is huge. If you forget something in your room and realize it by the time you get to the doors leading out to the strip, you've got to decide to waste another 20-30 minutes to retrieve that item or forget about it. The place is HUGE!

Mandalay Bay was the classiest of the three places I've stayed at, but way on the south end of the strip. I stayed there for a conference so it was worth it, but I'm not sure I'd stay there again unless I'm attending an event there. There is a tram from Mandalay Bay to Excalibur, which is on the same corner as MGM and NYNY, so that helps with the distance, but it can still seem a bit far away. Excellent pool though, one of the best in Vegas.

NYNY was the most economical of the three. Smaller rooms, but you don't go to Vegas to stay in your room. I thought it was a pretty good place to stay. Unique hotel too, took about a dozen twists and turns down hallways to get to our room, which was at the farthest end of the hallway(s). Small pool, but we didn't get to check it out as it was windy and cold when we were there. It has some good, inexpensive quick eat restaurants. It has Nathan's Hot Dogs if that's your bag. I was disappointed as I was "oversold" as to how good their dogs are, but it was good. I love picking up pizza from Sirrico's. Cheap, quick, and delicious. They also have a good deli in the quick eat's section. Greenburgh's, I think. If you're going to buy a Margarita by the Foot, buy it from NYNY. Only $13 or $14 and you get 4 oz. with that (you can get more alcohol for higher price of course), where there are other places you can get a Margarita by the foot and they are around $20 and only have 2 oz. It all depends on where you go for those things. I think it is something most people do on their first trip.

For your first trip I'd recommend a 4 nighter. You'll get overtired if you do much longer, but you'll still leave Vegas wanting/needing to see/do more. I never wanted to go to Vegas, I just went to appease my wife since she wanted to go to see why her parents go once or twice per year. I got hooked.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote