View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #12982
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Stone being traded this off seasons makes the most sense. It opens up a spot on the bottom pair right side for our arguably most NHL ready D prospect Rasmus Andersson.

Next year if at least one of Kulak, Valimaki or Kylington prove capable of taking a top 4 role in the NHL then you look to move Brodie IMO.

Giordano - Hamilton
TJ Brodie - Hamonic
_______ - Andersson

Kulak, Valimaki and Kylington battle it out for the open spot and you either sign another "Bartkowski" type veteran 7th Dman who is cheap and can mostly eat popcorn or you rotate the young guys around based on performance.

I would however be OK with a Brodie trade sooner if you got a nice return of a top 6 forward or 1st round pick plus, but then replaced him via free agency. Ian Cole, Calvin De Haan or Thomas Hickey would all be decent fits IMO.
I just don't think Stone will return much. I'd be happy with a 3rd or 4th round pick but not sure that is worth it really.

I could actually see a situation where the Flames move one of Hamilton or Brodie (depending on the best return) and then sign a left shot defencemen as a UFA as an insurance policy in case Valimaki and Kylington aren't ready and to give them some more time.

A guy like Thomas Hickey (Calgary boy) might make sense on a 2 or 3 year deal and play as the 2nd pairing defencemen with top 4 minutes. I know some here are very much against signing veteran defencemen to "clog up" spots, but I'd be very wary of having anyone of Kulak, Valimiaki or Kylington playing top 4 minutes on the left side next season. I don't think Kulak is ever going to be a top 4 guy, but he's an ideal 3rd pairing guy; you can't expect him to replace Brodie's minutes. Valimaki and Kylington project as top 4 guys but they probably need more seasoning.