View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 01:48 AM   #189
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Boy it seems like your disdain for Pronman is personal. I just don't get these kinds of takes. It's not like he's doing hot take articles like Francis or Simmons. It's just his opinion on prospects. Mike Mayock was basically a guy like Pronman on TV and he's actually done a very good job as NFL GM so you don't necessarily have to be a scout to have a well informed opinion about prospects.
If you compare Pronman to say a team of scouts, the team's list is actually a mosiac of many different scouts' overlapping and reconciled opinions. They have a team of many scouts, and each of these scouts see an overlap of prospects. And then together they make lists that use the input of all these different scouts. It's a team game, where the scouts have skin in the game. Their lists actually matter. Then every year they are going back, looking at failures and improving their process with new approaches or scouts.

What does Corey Pronman do? He's one guy who has to cover many more players, most of it with tape. He doesn't have the same level of insider access to coaches and teammates of these prospects. How are his lists ever going to be more accurate than the other lists we get?

If I can conceptually explain why the entire premise of Pronman's work is dumb, people at the Athletic should too. Instead we see other journalists actually referencing Pronman's work to decide who has won trades, etc. So it's just more low informational content. I 100% understand sports is for fun. But if Im going to take the time to read content, I want it to be quality content.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post: