View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #1385
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
And if we want to get really technical, within the ranking calculation, FIFA has a modifier for the "importance" of matches in the formula.

If Canada were to somehow beat the USA (let's not kid ourselves, this is a big task), the benefits would be twofold: The ranking points earned for the matches themselves, but also advancing to the play-off phase of the nations league, in which the matches are weighted heavier on "importance" than the group phase. So a few more chances to earn some more ranking points.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how the CSA books the calendar of friendlies in the coming months. Friendlies can also earn points, but at a lower level of importance.

These Concacaf Nations League matches, including avoiding a choke tonight, are more important than a lot of people realize. The implications will be felt all the way through the 2022 World Cup.
Unfortunately the playoff stage isn't until June 2020 which I think may be too late. I did see an article where Herdman talked about finding a friendly for the November window after our second match with the US which could be useful. I think I agree with his argument that we're better off not playing a friendly right before the first match with the US in order to maximize our chances of beating them. The multiplier for friendlies just isn't high enough to chance it.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post: