View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #71
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Less than $5,000 is my definition - car runs great and hasn't given any problems but has hail damage and is hardly ever driven. No point keeping a second car around to just pay insurance on and never drive so might as well try to monetize it.
Here's what I do every time I sell a car (or anything really) on Kijiji.

1. Remove all your junk and give it a solid cleaning. Doesn't have to be show-car clean, but make it as nice as possible as you can in one afternoon. It's crazy how many people just leave all their junk in their car. If you added mods on the car, remove them if you can. Most people want clean, original cars.

2. Gather up as much service history on the car as you can, list the main points in your ad, and have them ready in a folder to show. Most people won't read your stack of papers, they just like to see a service history as it shows good ownership.

3. Take decent (no need for professional) photos, in good light. All 4 exterior sides, and relevant interior shots to show condition. Engine shot. Odometer shot. Extra tires/rims shot. Shoot it outside, not in your garage. I like late afternoon/early evening light as it's a bit softer/warmer.

4. Spend the time and write an ad with proper English/grammar. Remember, the buyer is not just judging the car...they are judging you. An ad is a reflection of who you are and how you took care of the car.

5. This one I think is key....disclose the stuff that's wrong with the car. It has multiple benefits. 1) It makes you a decent human. 2) It removes surprises, so you attract people who are ok with those deficiencies, and filters out those who aren't (to me this is hugely important, as I don't want to waste my time). 3) It removes a bargaining element for people to haggle over. Some people go looking for issues to use to lower the price (I know I do!)...remove a good chunk of their ammo.

6. Price it about 10-15% above what you want to sell it for. Gives people some room to haggle, to make themselves feel good. And if they don't haggle, bonus for you.

None of this is particularly revolutionary, but you'd be surprised how much your ad can stand out if you just do a little bit more than typical. Most people are lazy, and it costs them time and money in the long run. Every time I've sold a car, I've rarely ever had to show it to more than 2-3 people. Last week, the 3-series I bought for $4800 two years ago, I sold for $6000 with 24 hours. There's a similar car, priced for less, that's been on Kijiji for 2 months now because the ad is terrible.

Last edited by Table 5; 06-12-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: