View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #67
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Where do we replace the scoring if he walks? Panarin? He's not coming to Buffalo. Trade for a 40 goal scorer? Who? And what pieces (that we're willing to give up) would fetch that kind of return?

It's as much about the circumstance as it is about the contract. Yeah it would've been dumb for a team like Calgary or Vegas or whoever to give him this contract on July 1. But Buffalo had to sign him, it would've been a disaster if they didn't.
From day 1 i have been a huge Jeff Skinner fan...even called his Calder back in the day with the canes.

He plays the game the right way, is an OK 200' player even if not an elite level one, and has great hands with decent skating abilities.

All that being said..this contract looks to be a disaster at some point sooner rather than later.

If it was this deal or he walks? You let him walk. However, Botterill should have been well aware long before the deadline what, generally, it would take to keep him in Buffalo and if it was this? He should have dealt him and got a pretty decent haul. This is really poor GMing in my opinion.

You sound like you are even trying to talk yourself into believing this deal is OK. It isn't.

The money isn't even the issue here, its the money for 8 years. This is an absolute MAX contract for a guy of this caliber. Maybe even higher.

Skinner is a great player for sure, but he isnt a top 20 in the entire league player unless he starts popping 40 a year every year. I wouldn't count on that...though him and Eichel may have a few good years together...it wont be until Skinner is 35 years old.