View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #76
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia...ment-1.6313930

Russia hints at staging a military presence in Cuba and Venezuela if the West doesn't back down.

I don't think that's earth shattering or really destabilizing on its own. Russia has a right to port agreement with Cuba. They've made big shows with their Navy doing port visits. I also think there's a Russian Military Intelligence and Electronic gathering base on Cuba.

Something more along the lines of building a submarine base on Cuba in the open might be a cause for concern, especially if it services Missile Boats. The American's have always been paranoid about Russian missile boats that close to the American coast because a decapitation strike in minutes becomes a reality.

Putting conventional troops in Venezuela in itself would be more about dragging the flag then anything else. Again the same thing applies, the Russian's could access their ports. Both Cuba and Venezuela could also give Naval Aviation bases which could threaten the US South Pacific.

I doubt that the Russian's would push it too far and risk Nuclear brinkmanship that close to the States ever again.

I don't think that the Russians have the sheer number of long range Bombers that they used to and they still rely a lot on the Backfire Bomber though it can carry up to 10 of their KH-15 anti ship hyper sonic long range missiles. The more advanced Blackjack can carry about a dozen missiles.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote