View Single Post
Old 08-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #1621
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I have ranted about this a million times, but we have to breed better pedestrians.

Having 'Right of Way' is all well and good, but its small consolation if you get hit by a car.

I love it when a pedestrian looks into traffic, makes eye-contact, makes sure they see me and I see them and that traffic is stopping for them before just stepping into the road.

But too often you see the pedestrians with their headphones in, hoodie up and eyes glued to the phone and just walking into the street without making sure its safe.

"Oh, they'll stop for me, I have the right of way!!"

Cyclists are just a Wild Card. You just never know what they're going to do, I try and avoid them like the plague.

There are good ones and there are terrible ones, but you never know which is which and they are unpredictable.

Even just today, I was behind a cyclist and he was on the road then quickly pulled over into a crosswalk through an intersection and then proceeded on the sidewalk.

Okay, nothing bad happened there, but prior to him doing that was there any way I could have predicted he'd switch from vehicle to pedestrian on a whim? Not a chance.

And regardless of whether you're a Cyclist, Pedestrian or Motorist, you have to be aware of whats happening around you. You can listen to music, but make sure you can still hear whats happening around, you should never deprive yourself of one of your senses when in any form of traffic.

Do you need to have your hoodie up to kill your peripheral vision? Do you need to have your music so loud you cant hear ambient noise? Do you need to be looking at your cell phone tunneling your sight away from your surroundings?

Its just common sense but it happens so often and thats how bad things occur.

And honestly, I'll echo your sentiment about cell phones and driving. Easily one of the most dangerous things you can do. If you're looking at your cell phone you are not paying attention to what is happening around you and even slow traffic moves fast.
i wish i could thank this more than once!