View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #413
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
The problem for Pittsburgh is more complicated than for other teams due to Fleury's NMC.

Assuming he doesn't waive it, they will have to either trade him or buy him out in order to protect Murray, which they will do at all costs (Losing Dumoulin or Schultz, while a big deal, is a small blow compared to losing Murray).

Of course, if Fleury waives, then Pittsburgh is in a great situation. VGK will (probably) take Fleury and Pittsburgh will clear 5.75 million off their cap while still having an elite #1 which could allow them to add more for another cup run next year.

I don't expect Fleury to waive, since the only reason for him to would be out of loyalty, which is sort of rare among hockey players (and honestly should be imo).
Fleury and the Pens are in such an interesting spot. No doubt Pittsburgh will do whatever it takes to protect Murray, including a buyout of Fleury if necessary. But they have gone on and on about how important Fleury is to the team and how they will treat him with respect. I am not entirely convinced that Vegas takes him, if exposed.

I am starting to think there are other options out there. Perhaps they work out a deal to expose Fleury and give up assets to Vegas not to take him. Pittsburgh keeps Murray, Vegas gets an asset, plus Schultz or Dumoullin or whomever they pick and Fleury stays in Pittsburgh or is traded to another team of his choice.

EDIT: In other words, Fleury waives his NMC on the condition he isn't taken by Vegas.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote