View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 11:15 PM   #735
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Gondek is literally the worst. What has she done beyond trying to tackle giant macro issues that have nothing to do with municipal politics?

Makes Farkas look like knight in shining armour right around now. RIP my property taxes
Farkas as a person seems to be trying to reform his image, and I applaud him for his charity work; however, as a councillor, he was as incompetent as Chu. Listening to some council meetings those two didn't even know the basics of the job.

As for Gondek, her job is to be one vote in the council, lead the council meetings, be a public figure for the city, and lead negotiations with other cities, the province, and the feds. Most of the last part is really mundane stuff that we may or may not hear about.

But the question what has this council done for us? Good question, and it's freaken hard to figure out without a lot of research, frankly digging through council motions is a pain in the arse. What I know from the media:

- Build a net-zero initiative.
- Work on converting downtown buildings to residential buildings.
- Add green retrofit property tax loans (a lot of other municipalities already have these).
- Trying to develop a strategy to deal with security issues in transit
- Restore transit service, which become a serious issue in places like Mahagony.
- Approved 5 new communities (not sure if this is a good thing, I think sprawl is part of our issue with property tax cost).
- Pushed Enmax to accelerate infrastructure upgrades that they were very far behind (this affected me with three power outages this year... most probably wouldn't know)
- Working on a strategy to get new hotels ( didn't know this was an issue)

I'm sure that there are tons of little mundane stuff like pushing forward the green line, that doesn't get much attention or care. Unlike the Province and Feds, the city affects us the most, but most of what they do won't grab headlines.

Frankly, I'm glad Farkas is gone, the guy's grandstanding and no votes just got in the way of the council doing work IMO, next let's eject Chu.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post: