View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Herschel are pretty durable for what they are, but I agree I don't think they fit OP's criteria. Herschel's designs lately seem much more minimal and lightweight. No matter how good quality they are, they're at a disadvantage against a true rugged and comfort designed backpack with padding etc.

I've borrowed the Timbuk2 before and I think it is an excellent value bag. Leans more towards academic than business looks wise as a bag IMO, but performs quite well. I'd love to acquire another one for more casual use, but I honestly don't really use backpacks anymore for day to day stuff and my MEC backpack which I used for school and now for hiking is still going strong after 22 years. I also have specific hiking backpacks I nabbed in Asia that have been going strong for about 11-13 years (Musou) which have perfect slots for travel. IMO, extra large/wide zippers are one of the biggest keys in ensuring a backpack lasts a really long time.

There's definitely a ton of good suggestions for backpacks in this thread, but one thing that always gets to me, is that many of these backpacks don't really look truly "professional". Ogio for instance, is a great bag I've used before. But I've seen people trek them in for business purposes and its one that especially looks odd beside business wear. This isn't an issue if you're an engineer or something that can get away with more casual looking clothing + backpack, but if you are a legitimate full business type person (finance, law, accounting etc.) many of these bags always looks out of place IMO.

I'm assuming OP is the latter though and doesn't have to worry as much about looks as Swissgear bags IMO have looks similar to the Ogio bags IMO. The main bags that I've run into that seem to lean far better as a business looking backpack are select Samsonite backpacks and it's still a hit or miss design wise as well as quality, durability, features etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote