View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #56
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
At this point, I still think Frolik is an effective player. However, I think Bennett has become a very effective player. Bennett's goals and assists haven't improved my leaps and bounds, but his ability to help the Flames exit the defensive zone with possession, enter the offensive zone with possession, and control shots for and against has improved significantly. I would argue he's now a better "two-way" winger than Frolik is. If not, its become a lot closer than it used to be.

Here's my evidence: https://public.tableau.com/shared/R4...viz_share_link.

I'm saying this because I want Bennett to move up the lineup and begin playing on the 1st line or 2nd line so that he can get more ice time. He's just gotten really good. As such, I see the top 6 forwards on this team, in no particular order, as:

Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund
Bennett

This means I don't think Frolik should be getting top 6 minutes anymore. As such, I think Frolik may have become an overly expensive luxury in the current financial context.

We can have the lines look like this:

Forwards - 49.603333

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk (7*8.5) - Backlund - Bennett (2*2.5)
Mangiapane (1*1) - Ryan - Neal
Dube - Jankowski - Czarnik
Hathaway (2*1) - Quine (2*0.7)

Defencemen - 26.088375

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington - Stone

Goalies - 5

Rittich (3*3)
Talbot (1*2)

Buyout - 1.5

Total - $82.19M

So, the Flames would still have to drop a little cash. I imagine that will come by either trading Brodie, promoting Andersson to the top pair, and having Stone play with Valimaki. Alternatively, the Flames could attach a/the draft pick they get from trading Frolik and get rid of Stone (a non cap team may be willing to pay a very small price for him?).
My goodness the legend of Sam Bennett now has him as a better two way forward than Micheal Frolik?

Also I'm sick of Bennett apologists acting like he has crappy linemates as to the reason why he cannot do anything. The line of Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett was the 4th most used line combo at even strength for the Flames last season.

17.74% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - LINDHOLM,ELIAS - MONAHAN,SEAN
9.58% EV BACKLUND,MIKAEL - FROLIK,MICHAEL - TKACHUK,MATTHEW
4.99% EV HATHAWAY,GARNET - MANGIAPANE,ANDREW - RYAN,DEREK
4.26% EV BACKLUND,MIKAEL - BENNETT,SAM - TKACHUK,MATTHEW
3.45% EV BENNETT,SAM - JANKOWSKI,MARK - NEAL,JAMES
2.15% EV BENNETT,SAM - CZARNIK,AUSTIN - JANKOWSKI,MARK
1.72% EV GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - MONAHAN,SEAN - TKACHUK,MATTHEW
1.56% EV BACKLUND,MIKAEL - CZARNIK,AUSTIN - TKACHUK,MATTHEW
1.50% EV BACKLUND,MIKAEL - NEAL,JAMES - TKACHUK,MATTHEW

Further to that, Sam Bennetts most frequent linemates last season were Tkachuk and Backlund.

21.76% EV BACKLUND,MIKAEL - BENNETT,SAM - TKACHUK,MATTHEW
17.60% EV BENNETT,SAM - JANKOWSKI,MARK - NEAL,JAMES
10.97% EV BENNETT,SAM - CZARNIK,AUSTIN - JANKOWSKI,MARK
4.01% EV BENNETT,SAM - NEAL,JAMES - RYAN,DEREK
3.47% EV BENNETT,SAM - GAUDREAU,JOHNNY - MONAHAN,SEAN
3.25% EV BENNETT,SAM - FROLIK,MICHAEL - RYAN,DEREK
3.04% EV BACKLUND,MIKAEL - BENNETT,SAM - NEAL,JAMES

I understand Frolik isn't happy and has asked to be moved. I'm just a little shocked at how underrated Frolik is being sold around here. This team isnt as good with him subtracted from the roster. Not only does he check the top opposing lines, he still manufactures points and is a big part of our PK. Not to mention the chemistry he has continually shown with Tkachuk and Backlund. He will be missed in many ways.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post: