View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #47
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
In my opinion, one thing that can lead to terrible professors is the amount of pressure put on them to "publish or perish". If you're a new prof (i.e., without tenure), your students basically mean nothing to you because research and publishing is number one--why would you put any effort toward teaching?

I was lucky enough to do my undergrad at a small/private/no-research school and my professors dedicated their entire jobs to their students which made a HUGE difference, but holy hell did I pay (and am still paying) for it--even with scholarships. I got paid to do both of my Masters (it was a pittance but enough to get by, and tuition was paid) which I am very grateful for, but it really depends on the subject and the schools to which you apply.
Yes, the notion that the people doing the instructing need to be the same people who do the research is another anachronism of the system. There's no reason why the people doing the lectures - especially in 200 and 300 level courses - can't be selected exclusively on their expertise and enthusiasm for lecturing.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: