View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #54
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
I am a Civil Engineer. I struggled in the first 5 years of my career and bounced around a bit (4 jobs with 3 different employees) before I found my niche. For the past 10 years I have had my "dream job", which was managing large construction projects in a field that I am really passionate about. As time went on my responsibilities grew and I now supervise teams of dozens of people and projects worth billions of dollars.

Unfortunately everything changed in the past 6 months. A major project that I was managing up until the end of 2013 has gone seriously sideways and I have been pulled back in to it. We are in a very nasty and public fight with our contractor. As others have noted; politics, being blamed for the failures of others, and a general lack of support from my employer have started to get the best of me. A job I loved for many years is now a daily grind.

My strategy at this time is to wait things out for 6 months. There are promising signs that things may turn around and I could be in line for a promotion thus fall. If all goes well I may just have to chalk 2015 up as a bad year in an otherwise long and successful career. But if things continue as they are now, or get worse, I will be looking for new opportunities in 2016.

I guess the takeaway from this story is:

If you are early in your career and unsure of your choices, keep trying. The right job is probably out there, you just need to find it.

If you are mid to late career and things are not going well, don't be afraid of change. Develop an exit strategy and timeline so you don't end up endlessly stuck.
Total blind guess, but you're not the guy Simon Farbrother is blaming on the NLRT, are you?
V is offline   Reply With Quote