View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Coffee snobs say that you should brew within 15 minutes of grinding for absolute freshness. So whole bean coffee, kept airtight, ground right before your brew, is the way to go. You will need a burr grinder. The spinny blade ones that are sold as coffee grinders are terrible.

I saw a PC brand burr grinder at Superstore for about $40-50. Should be all you need for French press.

As for beans, I usually buy them from the grocery store, but from the fancy hipster organic section. Stay away from the aisle with the likes of Nabob, Folger's, Maxwell House, etc.

Unfortunately, many of these hipster organic brands at grocery stores like to cook the hell out of the beans. So many dark roasts, french roasts, medium dark roasts. I usually try to find a medium or light roast. Dark roasts only work somewhat decently in a French press, so if that's how you are brewing, then maybe a dark roast will do.

I think my preferred brand is Ethical Bean, but Kicking Horse and Salt Spring are also on the same shelf and can be a good change. I usually buy whatever is on sale, since they rotate every couple of weeks. Never buy it at full price. The difference can be from like $17 to $12 on sale.

If you really, really don't want to grind, it seems to be a trend that these brands are selling pre-ground beans. I don't know if I would recommend that. Maybe it would be best to go somewhere that grinds it for you so at least you know it was ground maybe a week ago instead of months.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote