View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I’ve been coaching high school football for nearly 10 years now. What I’ve noticed is the best athlete on the team now is most often the QB where was 10 years ago it was usually the RB. QB options and more passes have become a huge part of the high school game and agree that it’s probably close to a 50/50 split, although some of the schools do like to just line up and run it down your throat

And for what it’s worth I’d be shocked if we had a season this fall

Honestly last year, I was outright challenged by my headcoach, in my new organization (Colts). I was so used to having really good personal that we had worked on development wise, that I was used to a bully playbook. It was simple but cool, We would run it down your throat, throw it down the field and it was up to the defense to stop you.

When I went to the Colts, we didn't have the same type of players, and for the first few games we were really challenged. After the first game that we tied up on the last play of the game, with a deep pass, we got squashed and lost our starting QB, we had to change things.

So I was sitting there trying to figure it out and my headcoach really challenged me, it wasn't a fun conversation, he wasn't yelling, but the jist of it was that I was pretty arrogant and protective of my offensive system.

So we had a week between games, we looked at what we had, which was no real game breaking blazing receivers, a first year running back, that was fast but wasn't really a tackle breaker, and a couple of other kids that were bigger tight end types, not super fast, could block ok, one of them had good hands the other really didn't. So we came up with the three back set, and did a lot of misdirection movement, and by the end of the year we had a pretty credible offense and though I didn't like the three back set it worked really well in the first game and we put up 3 TD's and ate a ton of time on the clock and really started building up our QB who had never been a QB before.

We kept adding all week, and we added what we called a spread6 formation and playbook, based around a 2 back set out of pistol, but we would be able to call on the fly whether the running backs would protect, go flats, or go seams (We were literally running a 6 pack, which was awesome for me.

I was really looking forward to this year and the development of the younger players, but yeah I agree, we probably might not have a season

1) How many parents are going to be interested in a cold weather season?
2) How many parents right now can afford sports with unemployment and job certainty.

I'm kinda bummed, it would have been nice to have something to do while going through this job search.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote