Thread: 2017 Formula 1
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I hope it doesn't become too difficult. It sucks seeing guys work hard in qualifying, and lose it on the start due to some mechanical issue that makes it tough to get a decent start.
I'm not sure if I'd call it a mechanical issue. I'd call it driver error. If they don't know how to work their own car and release the clutch to get a good start, I think that is their issue.

Also, some of the most exciting races happen because the fastest qualifying cars get pushed down the field. The Canadian Grand Prix is a prime example of that. And it weren't for Vettel's driver errors at the last chicane and Ferrari's terrible strategy, we could have seen the race of the year last year in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't like this at all. The engineers should be allowed to advise leading up to the start in terms of the optimal launch and then it's up to the driver to manage wheel spin.

Nobody wants to see a pileup 200m from the start.
This doesn't have to do with the engineers advising, that was outlawed last year already. All this does is eliminate idiot proof clutches. The driver needs to have practiced their starts enough during practice and qualifying to know the proper bite point for the clutch.

It is highly unlikely this will cause pileups 200m from the start. More likely it'll just cause a slower getaway or some wheelspin.

I'm in favour of pretty much any rule that eliminates team control of the car during a race. I already think it is silly that a team of 200 engineers a half a world away analyzing data relay that info to the pit wall and then a race engineer coaches a driver to tell them specific details on every turn, proper braking, how much lift/coast etc for every corner on the whole track.

Once the lights go out it should pretty much all the driver except broad strategy. Unfortunately it is too hard to legislate what is talked about on the radio and the driver coaching is here to stay.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: