View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #34
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
It never tires how everyone and their dog is a transportation design expert.

Please don't interpret my comment as being negative about the existing configuration of that area or what they're currently doing. Because of traffic volume that area has exceeded it's designed capacity a long time ago.

It's great that the entire transitway is being built and I would hope it will alleviate some of the issues that transit causes on 17th Ave over the Deerfoot. I also know that the province is responsible for the Deerfoot still. If there could have been some savings and/or efficiencies on 17th by incorporating a separate bus/pedestrian bridge into the existing infrastructure than that would have been great. I'm actually hoping they'll be turning the old sidewalks on the 17th Ave bridge into at least another lane.

I wasn't pretending to be a transportation design expert at all. That being said, way back when I was in University I took several Transportation Economics courses. That topic may sound boring as heck but they were probably the most interesting Economics courses I took (which I realize isn't saying much). Additional infrastructure money spent for transit lanes and car pool lanes was a poor return on investment because of poor utilization. Unless there's buses running on it almost all of the time it's going to be asphalt that could be shared with other vehicles.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote