View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #18
TheCommodoreAfro
First Line Centre

Exp:

In terms of money, change before you get here. Banks here charge almost 10% more for switching over so do it before you leave. You can use credit cards but for the most part it is a safe, cash based society so don't worry about carrying more around than you normally would back home - it's normal for me to walk around with a few hundred in my pocket and not worry (and I feel broke if I have less than 5000 yen - $50 on me).
Most of the posters here are right - you can do it on a budget as there are a lot of options nowadays for eating/drinking on the cheap (look out for the everything including beer and food 290 yen/350 yen joints if that's your speed). If you're planning on spending even a few days in Kyoto or somewhere else invest in the JR pass as well for that part of the trip.
Senshu university is pretty damn central (almost smack in the middle between Akihabara in the east, and Shibuya in the west), but the area it's in a little more business-y (Kudan####a area) Kudan s h i t a (silly swear filter no speak Japanese) and less touristy so I suspect you'll be moving out of the neighborhood more often than not once school's out.
If you're staying close that should be a good kicking off point tho. In any event, enjoy! Should be good fun. I did my first study tour to Japan back in the nineties and I've been here ever since (minus the seven years of the "Young Guns" run which is the only period in recent memory I've lived in Calgary).
TheCommodoreAfro is offline   Reply With Quote