View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommodoreAfro View Post
Resident CP Tokyo (Yokohama, actually, but I work in Tokyo) resident.
To answer your questions:
1) Buy a travel plug adaptor before you leave Canada. The voltage is 100W - 10 less than Canada, and would only affect the running of precision devices (like clocks). Otherwise you can plug everything in and not fear it exploding.
2) Not sure why you're balking at that price. It's not that bad for unlimited use. And if you balk at the price of that, you're going to be doing a lot of price balking in the month you're here (Japan's kind of expensive). The only other option would be to get a phone from Softbank, AU or NttDocomo when you arrive at the airport.
3) Umm, if you have 2 suitcases, pack everything in that. For souvenirs there are a lot of small/thin/pretty things to buy - stick to them and you should be fine.

Where will you be studying in Tokyo? Lots to do in the city so hope you have a good month.
2) Probably because I have a spoiled misconception that using a prepaid or something to that extent would be cheaper than a regular line.
3) You know what? I have no idea why I thought I would only be bringing one piece... Scratch that question then.

Going to be studying at Senshu University. Already starting to lament at the fact that it'll only be a month without having some anything.
Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman View Post
I think Commodore has it pretty much covered.

You could buy a suitcase for a reasonable price here for souvenirs. Luckily there are direct flights from Calgary to Narita now (unlike when I moved here) so it's not so bad. You don't have to drag 2 heavy suitcases across Vancouver airport anymore to switch flights.

Tokyo can be pricey so you'll need to budget if you're staying for a month.
A good option for meals is sometimes to go to a supermarket/grocery store. They usually have a selection of bento (lunch boxes) that are under 500 yen each. And they're good quality.

Have fun, there's a lot to see in Tokyo! Don't panic if you get temporarily lost from time to time. Most of the signs in stations in Tokyo have English on them so you should be able to figure it out.
Unfortunately/fortunately I'll be making a quick stop at Seoul for a week after so a bit of luggage dragging at some point. Thanks for the heads up about the bento. Hopefully my grade school level Japanese will be used more often than not in those cases.

Last edited by Anduril; 04-29-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote