View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #3444
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Are they particularly brutal?

As far as the "playing with friends" angle, I was a little concerned about that, and I guess I've spent a little more going to some other courses. But I've also played with a bunch of new people this year and realised pretty quickly that no one cares whether you're a good golfer. I feel like that's a hang-up that a lot of higher handicappers have, but it's so irrelevant.

The truth is no one cares what you shoot. If you take a million practice swings, look for every ball as though its a family heirloom and view each putt from every angle then yeah...people aren't going to be pleased to play with you. But the reality is that if you keep a decent pace, and are a generally friendly and nice person, people are welcoming and nice in return. It's pretty much common sense, in my eyes.

For me, having a membership has been great. I've met a lot of new people, made some new friends and just have more people to golf with. That doesn't mean that I abandoned my other friends that I played with, it just added to my overall rounds this year.
I often play with golfers who are much better than me. It challenges my game and helps me to play better. Part of the game is the friendships that develop and the good conversations you have. While I don't score as well as them I can keep up and TBQH that's all they care about.

I have zero problems finding someone to play with and often have different groups I play with during the week. The same groups fight over who gets me to play with them in club tournaments.