View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #701
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
I often wonder what is the line between asking for a discount as part of a negotiation, and what is an offensive “low ball”? For your example above, $21 would have been my opening for an item priced at $30, with the expectation we would wind up somewhere from $25-$27.

I’m always polite “Hey, I know this is a low ball, but it’s what I can do, if it doesn’t work for you, no problem, good luck with your sale.”, but I wonder what sellers think is the line between an appropriate opening and an inappropriate one?

Thoughts from sellers?
Instead of starting at a number to bargain, in the past, I'd say the item is "a little beyond my budget" and ask about the wiggle room on the price to see if "it falls within my budget".

But I've done my research and often interested in something willing to pay the price and hoping to knock off 10-15% additional, but not something extreme and ridiculous off the price. Usually when someone gives a hint at how much they are willing to move (usually it's pretty close to their bottom line), I would generally not push more than $500-$1K from the wiggle room they reveal.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote