View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #1801
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I would also say that FCE should be targeting community soccer teams, particularly kids. It really should be a sporting event that you'll find lots of community teams attending, for kids from 6-18 so they see professional soccer. I remember attending the Al Classico and there were a fair number of them. Give them a preferable group rate (or special rate for ESA, EMSA) and that might go a long way.

South of the river? I would probably say try and do something around Foote Field / 113th and Belgravia Road. Basically the U of A south sports campus and where the new Super Lab was supposed to be. There is generally good access from Whitemud, the downtown driving crowd doesn't have to go too far, and there is a train stop in an area that is safe and pleasant. Only problem would be the congestion getting in/out of the campus area but there are multiple entry/exit points. Converting some of that derelect land south of 76 Ave between Calgary Trail and Gateway Blvd would be incredible for access, although probably too costly of a venture.

Also, the Cardiff/Valladolid game had a great atmosphere for the number of people attending. There were lots of passionate football fans there, bringing out the local Welsh and Spanish communities. It was fine, and quite the opposite of dreadful.
The issue with going for the youth soccer programs and families is they won’t show up to games with less then ideal circumstances. They won’t be there for long weekend game or bad weather games. York 9 went strongly after that market and look at them. I’m saying that of course you don’t just want to ignore that demographic but It definitely wouldn’t be my first target.