View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
The sooner this trilogy ends the better. So tired and old. Rogue One is by far the best star wars movie since Empire Strikes Back - and it is good because it has its own storyline embedded within the larger picture. The last scene with Vader destroying rebel fighters is everything star wars.

I'm still in disbelief that the best villain these new writers could come up with was Solo's son. Totally lame.

It wasn't even an original idea, they went into the Legends EU and took Jacen Solo who was Leia and Hans son and made him a villain and actually made him a far more frightening and unstable villain then Kylo Ren.

Basically to summerize things up.

Jacen Solo was an incredibly powerful force user, at some point he was seduced into thinking that the galaxy would continue to flounder and fight itself and his destiny was to become a Sith Lord and rule the Galaxy, but he thought he could use the darkside while not falling to its more negative aspects.

But that didn't work, he became more and more unstable and genocidal. He eventually grew to hate Luke and he tried to arrest and then murder his parents. The reason why a lot of diehards jumped on the back of Rey is Leia and Hans kid and Kylo's sister was because Jacen had a twin sister named Jaina who in the end killed her twin brother.

Realistically and honestly between the reuse of the themes of return of the Empire and a new hope and borrowing from the EU this trilogy isn't really a new story, and that's the problem, at its level the ST feels like a rehash of stories that have been done before, and they're not integrated very well. Because of that you get a flat villain like Ren who at his core isn't that interesting or even dangerous and you get a new empire run by complete idiots like Phasma, Hux and even Snoke, who haven't really had that moment where they felt all that dangerous or frightening. In fact that whole prank phone call pushed Hux beyond a complete incompetent. Phasma had shiny armor but at the core she was a bumbling stormtrooper, the only thing they didn't do is have her bang her head off of the bulk heads. As far as Snoke goes, they did a bigger disservice to him then Palpatine, by ripping off the same betrayal as Vader throwing his master down a unnecessary laundry chute in the middle of the throne room.

Canto Bright was a bit of a good leap in showing the shades of grey in the galaxy where the rich run roughshod over the poor, and get their fortune by exploiting war, but the characters in the middle of it just weren't great. Like I said I get the betrayal for money by a guy that's basically saying that you might as well just get what you want and not get involved, but it felt lazy to me.

I'm interested in seeing what Filoni can do to fix the first order with the Resistance animated series. I mean he went a long way in fixing the transition between TCW and ROTS, and made Anakins fall seem more logical. He did a amazing job of showing the transition to the Empire at what was really its height in Rebels. But can he make the First Order frightening.

At the same time, I have this fear that they're reading the perceptions of the TLJ and this trilogy and they're going to try to repair it by jamming a ton of fixes and OMG moments into the last film.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: