View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #50
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must be in the extreme minority, but I enjoyed the Finn/Rose part... not the action specifically, but for the following reasons:

1) It was cool to see the rich elite in the Star Wars Universe - up until then it was always military vs poor rebels.
2) The idea that the elite weren't bothered by this war, and weren't bothered by planets literally being blown up as they made money on both sides
3) Most importantly - this arc was useless and unnecessary, and IMO that was the point. The entire theme of the movie was "sometimes doing the heroic thing is the WRONG thing to do" - Poe got nailed for it after destroying their fleet of bombers for one destroyer take down. Finn and Rose went to do the standard "heroic" thing, and not only were they unsuccessful, they ended up costing the lives of many of the rebels as it was Del Toro's character who alerted the FO to the small ships departing the main one.

Hard for me to put into words ATM, but I like the idea that TLJ took the trope of the plucky heroes overcome all odds and save the day, and turned it into the plucky heroes end up decimating their own side due to them not wanting to "play it safe"

Now, Snoke and Phasma going out like punks... I didn't like that so much. I agree with CC that Kylo Ren is a pretty boring villain.

Overall I give TLJ a big "meh" - that's how I felt when I left the theatre, and it's how I still feel.

Last edited by I_H8_Crawford; 07-09-2018 at 03:38 PM.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post: