View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #1077
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Ronaldo, I can see his time being more managed. Pogba, I could care less.
how much could you care less?

Quote:
I'm just curious how he would work with a new manager? Is he going to be sitting from above dictating coaching strategy? So in that sense is he going to be seeking more of a yes man to implement HIS strategy? Don't know, just asking as I don't know what sort of character he is but by all accounts he likes to be in control.
he likes control, absolutely. But not as in "I want to tell the manager how to coach", but in a "I want to be able to hire a manager who has a similar philosophy" kind of way. At RB, he hired guys like Hasenhüttl, Rose and Nagelsmann - managers who also favoured football with a lot of pressing and intensity. So he wouldn't dictate coaching or hire a yes man, he'd just pick the right guy.

Quote:
I'm very much of the wait and see approach. Sure, he sounds great on paper but I've got to wonder if he's the be all end all then how come, at 63 he's never really had an appointment of any real significance before? And what I'm reading is that he's more of a builder which is exactly what they need at the moment.
context is key here. Rangnick was a hot commodity at Hoffenheim and Schalke, but stepped down due to burnout. He then opted to go the sporting director route instead and did a great job in that regard. When called upon, he twice stepped in for a year and did fine as a manager. The reason it ended at Leipzig was because of a power struggle between him and Oliver Mintzlaff, who didn't want Rangnick to call the shots anymore. Leipzig fans would tell you the wrong guy won that power struggle.

Afterwards, it wasn't for a lack of opportunity, but Rangnick is the kind of guy who only steps in if he feels it's the right situation. Chelsea was interested before hiring Tuchel, but they weren't prepared to give him a consultant role (like United). He was close to going to Milan, but that also collapsed for some reason.

Now, we don't know what the two sides have agreed to regarding his role after this season. Honigstein said he believes Rangnick might very well be at a point in his career where he doesn't need full control, but be fine with a "you just tell me what you need and I'll help you with that" role. His relationship with Murtough is key here, they are said to have a really good one. We can only speculate what the plan is, but if both sides arw comfortable with the arrangement, United will benefit immensly from this.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post: