View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #63
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm saying just because the tax rate is 40%(or whatever), it's not like they are paying that. Anyone making that kind of money is going to use whatever methods they can to reduce below the 40%. Yes, it's all legal, but it also means throwing out that they pay 40% is not really accurate. And yes, it also applies to the person making 50k not actually paying what their tax bracket puts them at.

I have no idea what the rich actually pay, but I'd be pretty blown away if they actually pay out near the highest rate they could theoretically pay.
They are - I have personally seen the tax filings that we prepare.

As I said before - in my mind the largest tax we are missing out on is the transfer of wealth from one generation to the next which is a massively lost opportunity. If we taxed the wealth transfer at a relatively high amount, this could allow for way more tax dollars. For example, if you are a high worth individual with an estate worth $400M in Alberta, and you leave that to your children, and have completed a high level of tax planning (estate freezing, step-ups, etc.) then upon death you are paying very little tax and the transfer to your beneficiaries are also nominal. Whereas if you transferred that $400M at 40%, $160M would go back in taxes.

Last edited by Leondros; 09-22-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post: